Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Fix my style! Why do I always get mistaken for a teenager?

I'm a 21 year old female, and ever since I was in high school, people would peg my age at least a few years younger than it actually is. In college, when I told people I was a freshman, they thought I meant high school. These days I get guessed at 18 or 19. It's been getting better, but I feel like a woman, why can't I look like one?



On a normal day I'm not too stylish...I revert to jeans, a band baby T, and converses or flip flops. I have long dark hair, parted on the side. I'm 5'3" and athletic/average build. I work in the music industry, so thanks to a hoop nose ring and my beloved eye make-up, you could probably label me a "casual rocker chick." How can I look my age while maintaining my metal chick style? What else can help, other than clothing style? (i.e., posture, etc?)



Fix my style! Why do I always get mistaken for a teenager?

you need to have on a bit more makeup and cut your hair. At 5"3" you can go with one of the short hip cuts and it will shock you how many people will get your age better. It seems the longer the hair the more off people are on your age after about 12



Fix my style! Why do I always get mistaken for a teenager?

wear more make up...but not too much im sure u would rather be mistaken for a teenager then a whore



Fix my style! Why do I always get mistaken for a teenager?

Carry a nice bag and wear good shoes. If you have these accessories, then you will appear your age, as younger girls rarely have a tailored bag and adult shoes. If you are adamant about keeping your current style going, then the reality is that you are going to get pegged for younger, since you are dressing like a teenager. You can have the "Casual rocker chick" look but update it to make it more adult. Wear tees with shrunken vests and jackets and straight leg jeans with black ballet flats. Urban Outfitters has great, edgy clothing that is not the typical stuff adolescents wear. Toughen it up with good jewelry and you will definitely look older!



Fix my style! Why do I always get mistaken for a teenager?

a new haircut might do it...shorter hair tends to make women who look younger a little older...maybe looking more confident or walking tall will make you look a little older too..



Fix my style! Why do I always get mistaken for a teenager?

You are lucky. You have some lee-way because you work in the music industry (people figure you are "artistic" and cut you slack).



First, let's look over your style.



Casual rocker: Rock music is generally associated with young people who like more energy in their music than what Pop music has. A lot are teenagers. Rockers are thought to have poor posture, be rather inarticulate, and perhaps slightly lacking good judgement. Simply straightening your posture can make you come across as confident and out going. Note: Watch a school age teen give their order to the cashier at a fast food restauraunt. Now, imagine a 29yr. old person in medical scrubs doing the exact same thing. The message sent would be: "I'm not very sure of myself. And I'd prefer to give you my order with the least amount of awkwardness as possible, then go away to get my straw so I won't have to interact with you."



Judging by your post, your speech sounds just fine.



Side notes... Long, full hair is still beautiful; especially if it does not come below your shoulder blades. You can think about getting some textured bangs later on. (Not straight, straight. Very hip, natural looking. Think Kiera Knightly in Pride and Prejudice. You can find pics of the movie on the internet.) All right, 5'3. That is a good height for a girl, but it will prove slightly tricky for you because there are plenty of 15year olds who are 5'3, too. Don't worry, you'll compensate just fine by not slouching or talking like them. Also, the hoop nose ring is fine for the most part, however you might want to consider going to a wedding without it - unless it is one of your friends who has casual rocker style like you, then use your descretion. (At weddings, please understand, everyone is dressing up more than their norm; wearing a nose ring could say to some people that you aren't old enough to have the taste to realize that.) Also, depending on your complextion, you may like to try just a little bit of blush to give some more color to your cheeks. The darker you are the more you'll be able to get away without it. You can use it also, though, to "dress up" - like for going out on the weekends or something like that.



On to clothing!



Shoes:



Flip-flops~ very, very casual. They say: "Hey! Today's my day off and I'm enjoying lounging around."



Converses~ Casual young. They say: " Yeah, I'm chilling out right now. Got some stuff to do... in my style!"



Trendy, flat soled sneakers~ You might want to get some that you like. They are nicer than Converses, you'd definitely want to wear these to the mall. They say: " I'm out on the town with friends, so I'm dressed up a little. I'm old enough to know what I like, no matter how much I get dressed up."



Open toed shoes such as the flip-flops mentioned is fine for around the house or errands where people are in a very casual setting. (ie:Walmart is a casual retail store -- perfect.)Probably not the mall, though. As a general rule, your converses would give you a bit more 'age' than the flip-flops. Anywhere you want to be taken a little more seriously go for the trendy, flat soled sneakers that fit your taste. That will send your personal style across but subconsciously a person will recognize that you did not just throw some flip-flops on like you were going to the beach.



Jeans are perfectly acceptable for almost anything, especially if they show some style.



Shirts: Tees are very casual, which I believe is part of your style. (grin) Using some solid tees for layering is, not only popular, but fits in with the " I'm-In-My-Twenties" style. I'm sure you've seen it. It is very common with tank tops in the summer, and in the winter with a short-sleeve shirt and a solid long-sleeve shirt underneath it. Layering gives you a lot of room to jazz up your closet.



Well, there you have most of it. Much of it is being perceived as your age, that has a lot to do with the way you carry yourself. Dressing your age also helps because it is the first thing people have to gather information about you by.



I hope everything goes smoothly for you while you're learning all this stuff to further develope your personal style!



-T

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
c++